So, Thursday was a just a little busy this week. Not only was it the day before New Year's Eve, but I was one of the only people in the office at work. As a result, I definitely did not have time to cook or even think about creating something deliciously gluten-free.
I was bitten by the cooking bug early yesterday morning. With guests still at our house, I whipped up some scrambled eggs and some french toast scones (which I could not eat, but everyone else enjoyed)! I was still motivated, and while my husband and I planned our meals for the week, I was also planning dessert.
My mom has made Cherry Surprise for years. I am not a fan of slimy fruit - especially not pie filling. The recipe is traditionally made with cherry pie filling, and I always end up just eating the topping. While wandering around Costco the other day, I saw that blackberries were back in-season at a fabulous price. So, I thought, "why not make it with fresh fruit." In addition, I had a yellow gluten free cake mix at home to use.
It came out delicious and no one could even tell it was gluten free. That was a bonus, because I did not need to eat it all on my own.
I was bitten by the cooking bug early yesterday morning. With guests still at our house, I whipped up some scrambled eggs and some french toast scones (which I could not eat, but everyone else enjoyed)! I was still motivated, and while my husband and I planned our meals for the week, I was also planning dessert.
My mom has made Cherry Surprise for years. I am not a fan of slimy fruit - especially not pie filling. The recipe is traditionally made with cherry pie filling, and I always end up just eating the topping. While wandering around Costco the other day, I saw that blackberries were back in-season at a fabulous price. So, I thought, "why not make it with fresh fruit." In addition, I had a yellow gluten free cake mix at home to use.
It came out delicious and no one could even tell it was gluten free. That was a bonus, because I did not need to eat it all on my own.
Blackberry Surprise Recipe:
2 clamshells blackberries, washed
4 tbsp white sugar
1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow cake mix
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp gluten-free vanilla (hint: McCormick's Madagascan Vanilla is gluten free)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put washed blackberries in a mixing bowl and cover with sugar. Let sit for 1 hour. Grease a small baking dish, and pour the blackberries into the dish. Cover completely with entire box gluten free cake mix. Pour melted butter over the cake mix. Cover butter with chopped walnuts. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
No comments:
Post a Comment